Excruciating Baseball Lists
Excruciating Baseball Lists
Baseball questions that will make your head hurt, with painless answers
- Rearrange the letters in the name of a big league ballplayer, and what do you get? The name of another big league ballplayer. (1871‑2010)
- Batter vs Pitcher
- What batters and pitchers dominated each other in their head-to-head matchups? (1950‑2010)
- Beanball Wars
- When was your favorite team involved in a game with 4 or more hit batsmen? You can’t beat fun at the old ball park. (1919‑2010)
- Extra Inning Games
- What were the longest games played by your favorite team? (1919‑2010)
- Gems and Stinkers
- What were the best and worst Bill James Game Scores for starting pitchers on your favorite team? (1919‑2010)
- Hey! Ho! Let’s Go Home!
- Who had the most game-ending RBI for your favorite team? How many times did your favorite team score a game-ending run without an RBI? (1950‑2010)
- Letters in the Lineup
- When did your favorite team start a game with the most players in the lineup whose names start with, contain, or end with each letter of the alphabet? A whole soup bowl full of fun. (1919‑2010)
- Personal Catchers
- Which catchers and pitchers tended to start together? (1919‑2010)
- Playing With Fathers and Sons
- How many big league ballplayers were teammates with each half of a father/son pair? (1871‑2010)
- Run Streaks
- When did your favorite team score, or allow, a certain number of runs in the most consecutive games? (1876‑2010)
- Skipper vs Skipper
- How did long-time big league skippers fare in their head-to-head matchups? (1871‑2010)
- Symbiotic Savers
- What pairs of pitchers each saved games started and won by the other? (1919‑2010)
- Townmates on the Mound
- How many times have pitchers born in the same town squared off as starters? (1871‑2010)
- Triple Plays
- Links to Retrosheet box scores of all games with a triple play. (1919‑2010)
- Two Park Chuckers
- Only a handful of big league pitchers managed to win a game at each park in these pairs. (1919‑2010)
- Ushering Catchers
- Which catchers were behind the plate for the most starting pitchers making their big league debut? (1919‑2010)
- Viva Los Vanquished
- What pitchers defeated the most different franchises? What pitchers defeated your favorite team the most times in a career, decade, fortnight, etc.? (1919‑2010)
|“[P]art of the adventure of science [is] to stretch the human imagination as far as possible everywhere. Although at every stage it has looked as if such an activity was absurd and useless, it often turns out at least not to be useless.”
Excruciating Baseball Links
- Recondite Baseball
- An open collection of baseball’s little-known records and curiosities.
- Faith and Fear in Flushing
- Contemplations, complaints, and compliments for fans who like to read.
- 5 Tool Blogger
- Completely and utterly unqualified incisiveness.
- Dave Studeman at The Hardball Times
- Dave learns ten new things every week, and shares them.
- Mets Walkoffs and Other Minutiae
- Baseball essay questions, with gramatically correct painless answers.
- Baseball Esoterica
- Here’s where you’ll find baseball’s oddities and exceptionally good and bad achievements you’ve never heard of.
- Ninety percent scar tissue, and proud of it
- Charlie’s Big Baseball Parks Page
- The rest of us live in Charlie’s rearview mirror
- Encyclopedia of Baseball Catchers
- In Honor of those Masked Men who’ve worn the Tools of Ignorance
- The Web’s Most Comprehensive Collection of Links to Baseball Resources
Back to the Mavrogiannis home page